Biltong Beef Stew with homemade dumplings served with honey glazed roasted pumpkin. Its rich, flavourful and perfect for a cozy night in with the family. I highly recommend this recipe if you’re looking to have a super satisfying eating experience!
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 1h
- Total Time: 1h 20m
- Serves: 6
- Category: Food Me up
For Beef Stew:
- 1 1/2 kilograms Gravy Beef
- 6 Medium Carrots
- 6 Medium Potatoes
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 teaspoons Biltong Spice (see main post for recipe)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 4 cups Beef Gravy Mix
- 2 tablespoons Soy
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Beef Stock
- 1 cup Four
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Castor Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Chop your meat and vegetables, and dice the onion.
- In a medium to large cooking pot heat up olive oil on medium heat.
- Allow onion to simmer for 2 min then turn heat to low and add all the spices.
- Add 1/2 cup water to spices and let it cook through for 2 min.
- Add in meat and stir well.
- Add 1 cup beef stock and allow to cook for 5 min on medium heat.
- Add in vegetables and allow to cook wit meat for 5-6 min.
- Using a tong, remove all vegetables in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Allow meat to cook till tender. Approx. 10-15 min, then add vegetables.
- Add 2 cups of gravy and leave to cook for 5 min.
- Add additional gravy if need be. (Remember the dumplings need enough gravy). Leave pot on low heat while preparing dumplings.
- Place all dry ingredients into mixing bowl and whisk.
- Add softened butter and crumble with fingertips.
- Add milk, mix well.
- using spatula or tablespoon dump dough into stew, approx. 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Place lid on pot and allow dumplings to steam for 15-20 min.